19 January 2008

No, Really... How's the Show Goin'?

- I haven't been in a relationship for over a year...

yet I meet, date, make out with, fall in love with, and marry a Deaf girl. In real life, she and I went to high school together. She's currently married to a great Deaf guy I grew up with. And for three days a week throughout February I'll be doing things with his wife in front of an audience that he's probably never done with her their whole private life.

- I haven't been cast in a role this big ever...

and in this script, not only do I have my own lines to memorize, but I'm the interpreter for every line the female lead says in the play. She signs a line, I verbalize it and add my own lines. There are more yellow highlighted areas in my script than there are white pages. And having only a month of preparation while working full-time doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else.

- I've spent a lot of time learning and respecting Deaf Culture...

but there are moments in this show where I say and do things that I absolutely hate. The fights written for this show are just epic. The ignorance and the stubbornness and the animosity reach levels that I actively avoid in my waking life. And the aggression has quickly raised within the past week from verbal abuse to physical. Rehearsals get done and I detest myself for hours afterward.


Come watch my most beautiful moments in hell.

It's that good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously----

date, time, and place.

i have ridiculous amounts of time off in feb.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to see you in a very personal and vulnerable role... right down to the marrow of your bones. The actress in me marvels at the risk involved.

You will be brilliant! Congratulations!

Always On Stage said...

Miss Karen,

Above all others I wish you were able to come see this. You know, you understand. Way too well. You'd be so proud of me.

And Miss jen,

Pick a weekend in February. We'll be playing. Specifics to follow.